Friday, September 11, 2015

Bolinhos de Canela - Cinnamon Cookies



I've been in a very nostalgic mood lately, I'm missing home, I'm missing my greatgrandma and the food she would make for us, and I just sometimes wish I could see her once more.

With those feelings of nostalgia come a craving for the food I grew up with, Portuguese.

As I prepare the menus for the next two weeks, I've decided to go with just Portuguese cuisine, so if you enjoy it you're in for a treat.

First on the list though, these yummy cinnamon cookies.

Oh the memories they bring back.  My greatgrandma lived with us for most of my life, and when my dad and stepmom were working, she would be the one getting us ready for school and welcoming us home in the afternoons.  Lunch would be homemade, and she would often have a little treat waiting for us as well.

Boy do I have wonderful memories of those days, and these cinnamon cookies, the delightful little buttery balls of goodness rolled in cinnamon and then baked until their tops start crackling.

I hadn't made them in a while, and when I put out a batch yesterday, my kids dug right in, matter of fact I think there may be one or two left, if I'm lucky.

Bolinhos de Canela

So let's get right to the recipe. It IS in grams so I'll try to convert it for you, but what I did many many years ago was buy myself a little scale that measures grams and kilograms.  It's so much easier considering most of my recipes are in the metric system.

Bolinhos de Canela

Bolinhos de Canela 
Cinnamon Cookies

300 grams flour (2 1/2 cups)
125 grams of butter, at room temperature (1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons)
100 grams sugar (1/2 cup)
1 egg
Ground cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together. 

Bolinhos de Canela

Form into little balls

Bolinhos de Canela

and then roll in ground cinnamon.

Bolinhos de Canela

Place on a baking sheet with wax paper

Bolinhos de Canela

and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.  Cookies should be soft to the touch when removed from oven as they'll harden as they cool down.

2 comments:

  1. MMMMMm I love the look and the story about these....sending Love to grandma. and you...Merri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when you post your family recipes and tell stories to go with them! these sound like a cookie my boys will love!

    ReplyDelete