Monday, January 14, 2013

Mix in a Pan Chocolate Cake

I love chocolate cake, but I don't make it very often, and the reason being that it's just the four of us and even though we'll have a slice right after it's baked, it will usually just end up sitting in the refrigerator for days.

Mix in a Pan Chocolate Cake

My husband is also not a big cake eater and I don't want to make a big cake just for the kids and I, I definitely don't need to be eating all that cake.

But this recipe makes a smaller batch which is perfect for when the sweet tooth does strike, and we don't have to worry about having too much leftover.

Mix in a Pan Chocolate Cake

It's a very easy recipe to throw together, perfect for when company shows up and you want something to serve in a pinch, with a cup of coffee.

Mix in a Pan Chocolate Cake

Mix in a Pan Chocolate Cake


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons oil
1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup cold water


In an 8 inch square baking pan, mix together with a fork the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.

Mix in a Pan Chocolate Cake

In a separate bowl, mix together oil, vanilla, vinegar, and cold water. Pour all at once into the baking pan with the flour mixture and blend with the fork until thoroughly blended together.

Mix in a Pan Chocolate Cake

Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.


From: The Homestyle Amish Kitchen Cookbook

Mix in a Pan Chocolate Cake

10 comments:

  1. I have a dinner party this weekend, this will be my dessert. I hope it looks as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm... will have to try this out soon! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks delicious! So moist and chocolaty! Yum! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! We too can never finish a 9x13-size!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that size since my family is the same way--although we have one more than you ;) I'm starting Medifast soon, but this will certainly make it's way to dessert for the kiddos soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your food blog & your personal blog too. I've followed you for years but today I went to your blog, Diary of a Stay at Home Mom, and my computer blocked it. It said that it found malware on your page. I don't really know what that means but I thought I'd let you know. I was still able to read your posts via google reader but I couldn't comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this tonight and it was a sucess.So moist and full of flavour.My kids loved it!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Kisses
    Rita

    http://bembons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a cake I've been making for years and it is a good one. I think the original name for it is Wacky Cake. It's so moist and delicious and you are right, just the perfect size for a small family. Yours looks great. I got this recipe from my best friends mother when I was 15. Hers had a delicious topping added. I'll try to find it and send you the recipe. It was just like chocolate pudding. Double scrum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Going to try this out...
    Eggless recipes are a boon as there are many in my family who are complete veg
    Thanks for sharing ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made it today finally, and it was wonderful. My grandson Daniel who is 4 loved it! thank you for your wonderful easy recipes. Have a blessed day Sandra.

    ReplyDelete